Latest Update: April 27, 2023
The Information We Collect About You
Personal data means any information about an individual from which that person can be identified. It does not include data where the identity has been removed (anonymous data).
We may collect, use, store and transfer different kinds of personal data about you which we have grouped together as follows:
- Identity Data includes first name, last name, username or similar identifier, title, date of birth and gender.
- Contact Data includes your address, email address and telephone numbers.
- Technical Data includes internet protocol (IP) address, Media Access Control (MAC) numbers, your login data, browser type and version, and time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system and platform and other technology on the devices you use to access our websites.
- Profile Data includes your interests, preferences, feedback and survey responses.
- Usage Data includes information about how you use our website.
- Marketing and Communications Data includes your preferences in receiving marketing from us and/or marketing firms we engage and your communication preference.
How Is Your Personal data Collected?
We use different methods to collect information from and about you including through:
- Direct interactions. You may give us your Identity and Contact Data by filling in forms or by corresponding with us by post, phone, email, chat or otherwise. This includes personal data you provide when you:
- Request prepared information;
- request a demo of one of our solutions;
- request marketing to be sent to you; or
- give us feedback.
- Automated technologies or interactions. As you interact with our website, we may automatically collect Technical Data (as such term is detailed above) about your equipment, browsing actions and patterns. We collect this personal data by using cookies, server logs and other similar technologies. We may also receive Technical Data about you if you visit other websites employing our cookies.
- Third parties or publicly available sources. We may receive personal data about you from various third parties such as Technical Data from the following parties: (a) analytics providers such as Google based outside the EU; (b) advertising networks based inside or outside the EU; and (c) search information provider based inside or outside the EU.
How We Use Your Personal data
We will only use your personal data when the law allows us to. Most commonly, we will use your personal data in the following circumstances:
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests (or those of a third-party) and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests.
- Where we need to comply with a legal or regulatory obligation.
Generally, we do not rely on consent as a legal basis for processing your personal data other than in relation to sending third-party direct marketing communications to you via email or text message. You have the right to withdraw consent to marketing at any time by clicking here.
Purposes for which we will use your personal data
We use information that we collect about you or that you provide to us, including any personal data as follows:
- To present our website and its contents to you.
- To provide you with the information that you request from us.
- To fulfill any other purpose for which you provide it.
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us, including for billing and collection.
- To notify you about changes to our website or any solutions we offer.
- In any other way we may describe when you provide the information.
- For any other purpose with your consent.
Note that we may process your personal data for more than one lawful ground depending on the specific purpose for which we are using your information. Please contact us by email at email@example.com if you need details about the specific legal ground we are relying on to process your personal data.
We strive to provide you with choices regarding certain personal data uses, particularly around marketing and advertising.
Promotional offers from us
We may use your Identity, Contact, Technical, Usage and Profile Data to form a view on what we think you may want or need, or what may be of interest to you. This is how we decide which products, services and offers may be relevant for you.
You will receive marketing communications from us if you have requested information from us if you have not opted out of receiving that marketing.
We will get your express opt-in consent before we share your personal data with any company outside Haivision for marketing purposes, including service providers who perform marketing services on our behalf, such as conducting surveys, sending communications to you on our behalf, or providing advertisements to you.
If you are based in the United States, you can opt out of receiving targeted ads from members of the Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) on the NAI’s website at https://optout.networkadvertising.org/. If you are based in the European Union you may visit the website of the European Interactive Digital Advertising Alliance (“EIDAA”) at https://edaa.eu/ as well as of the European Advertising Standards Alliance (“EASA”) at https://www.easa-alliance.org/.
Please note that you may continue to see advertisements, but they will no longer be tailored to your interests.
You can ask us or third parties to stop sending you marketing messages at any time by following the opt-out links on any marketing message sent to you or by contacting us at any time.
Where you opt out of receiving these marketing messages, this will not apply to personal data provided to us as a result of a solution purchase, warranty registration, solution experience or other transactions.
Do Not Track “DNT” Signals
Change of purpose
We will only use your personal data for the purposes for which we collected it, unless we reasonably consider that we need to use it for another reason and that reason is compatible with the original purpose. If you wish to get an explanation as to how the processing for the new purpose is compatible with the original purpose, please contact us.
If we need to use your personal data for an unrelated purpose, we will notify you and we will explain the legal basis which allows us to do so.
Please note that we may process your personal data without your knowledge or consent, in compliance with the above rules, where this is required or permitted by law.
Disclosures of Your Personal data
We may have to share your personal data with the parties set out below:
- Specific third parties referenced under the Third Parties section in the Glossary.
We require all third parties to respect the security of your personal data and to treat it in accordance with the law. We do not allow our third-party service providers to use your personal data for their own purposes and only permit them to process your personal data for specified purposes and in accordance with our instructions.
In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements. We may also disclose your personal data as required by law, such as to comply with a subpoena or other legal process, when we believe in good faith that disclosure is necessary to protect our rights, protect your safety or the safety of others, investigate fraud, or respond to a government request.
We share your personal data within Haivision. This may involve transferring your information outside the country you are located in, including countries in the European Economic Area (EEA).
Certain of our external third parties are also based outside the European Economic Area (EEA) so their processing of your personal data will also involve a transfer of data outside the EEA.
Whenever we transfer your personal data out of the EEA, we ensure an adequate degree of protection is afforded to it by ensuring that when we share your personal data within Haivision or with service providers, we may use specific contracts approved by the European Commission which give personal data the same protection it has in Europe. Please contact us if you want further information on the specific mechanism used by us when transferring your personal data out of the EEA. In certain situations, we may be required to disclose personal data in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
We have put in place appropriate security measures to prevent your personal data from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorized way, altered or disclosed. We may use encryption, secure socket layer, firewalls, physical lock and key, internal restrictions, password protection and other security measures to help prevent unauthorized access to your personal data. We use standard security protocols and mechanisms for the transmission of personal data. In addition, we limit access to your personal data to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know. They will only process your personal data on our instructions, and they are subject to a duty of confidentiality.
No method of transmission over the Internet, or method of electronic storage, is 100% secure, however. Therefore, we cannot guarantee its absolute security. We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected personal data breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a breach where we are legally required to do so. Notice will be given promptly, consistent with the legitimate needs of law enforcement and any measures necessary for Haivision or law enforcement to determine the scope of the breach and to assure or restore the integrity of the data system. Haivision may delay notification if Haivision or a law enforcement agency determines that the notification will impede a criminal investigation, unless and until Haivision or the agency determines that notification will not compromise the investigation. If you have any questions about the security of your personal data, you can contact us.
Data Retention and for how long will you use my personal data?
We will only retain your personal data for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
In some circumstances you can ask us to delete your information: see “Your Legal Rights” below for further information.
In some circumstances we may anonymize your personal data (so that it can no longer be associated with you) for research or statistical purposes in which case we may use this information indefinitely without further notice to you.
Your Legal Rights
Under certain circumstances, you have rights under data protection laws in relation to your personal data, including the right to access your personal data. You also have the right to amend or update inaccurate or incomplete personal data, request deletion of your personal data, or request that we no longer use it. You also have the right(s) to request restriction of processing your personal data, to transfer of your personal data or to withdraw consent.
To find more about these rights, please read the Glossary. If you wish to exercise any of the rights set out above, you may contact us.
Under certain circumstances we will not be able to fulfill your request, such as if it interferes with our regulatory obligations, affects legal matters, we cannot verify your identity, or it involves disproportionate cost or effort, but in any event, we will respond to your request within a reasonable timeframe and provide you an explanation.
Please note that for personal data about you that we have obtained or received for processing on behalf of a separate, unaffiliated entity–which determined the means and purposes of processing, all such requests should be made to that entity directly. We will honor and support any instructions they provide us with respect to your personal data.
If you have any questions or comments about this Policy or our privacy practices, please contact us using the details below. We will address all your questions or complaints within one month of receiving it.
You may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or as follows:
Haivision Systems Inc.
2600 Alfred-Nobel, Suite 500
Montreal, Quebec H4S 0A9 Canada
EU Data Subjects:
you have the right to make a complaint at any time to your local supervisory authority for data protection issues. We would, however, appreciate the chance to deal with your concerns before you approach your supervisory authority, so please contact us in the first instance.
No fee usually required
You will not have to pay a fee to access your personal data (or to exercise any of the other rights). However, we may charge a reasonable fee if your request is clearly unfounded, repetitive or excessive. Alternatively, we may refuse to comply with your request in these circumstances.
What we may need from you
We may need to request specific information from you to help us confirm your identity and ensure your right to access your personal data (or to exercise any of your other rights). This is a security measure to ensure that personal data is not disclosed to any person who has no right to receive it. We may also contact you to ask you for further information in relation to your request to speed up our response.
Time limit to respond
We try to respond to all legitimate requests within one month. Occasionally it may take us longer than a month if your request is particularly complex or you have made more than one request. In this case, we will notify you and keep you updated.
Legitimate Interest means the interest of our business in conducting and managing our business to enable us to give you the best and most secure experience. We make sure we consider and balance any potential impact on you (both positive and negative) and your rights before we process your personal data for our Legitimate Interests. We do not use your personal data for activities where our interests are overridden by the impact on you (unless we have your consent or are otherwise required or permitted to by law). You can obtain further information about how we assess our Legitimate Interests against any potential impact on you in respect of specific activities by contacting us.
Internal Third Parties
Haivision and any of its affiliates may act as joint controllers or processors and who are based in locations, including those located outside of the EU, and provide IT, HR, and system administration services and undertake leadership reporting.
External Third Parties
- Service providers acting as processors based in or outside the EU who provide IT and system administration services.
- Professional advisers acting as processors or joint controllers including lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers based inside or outside the EU who provide consultancy, banking, legal, insurance and accounting services. If you do not want us to share your personal data with these companies, please contact us.
- Regulators and other authorities acting as processors or joint controllers based inside or outside the EU who require reporting of processing activities in certain circumstances.
YOUR LEGAL RIGHTS
Under applicable law and depending on the country where you are located, you may have the right to:
- Request access to your personal data (commonly known as a “data subject access request”). This enables you to receive a copy of the personal data we hold about you and to check that we are lawfully processing it.
- Request correction of the personal data that we hold about you. This enables you to have any incomplete or inaccurate data we hold about you corrected, though we may need to verify the accuracy of the new information you provide to us.
- Request erasure of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to delete or remove personal data where there is no good reason for us continuing to process it. You also have the right to ask us to delete or remove your personal data where you have successfully exercised your right to object to processing (see below), where we may have processed your information unlawfully or where we are required to erase your personal data to comply with local law. Note, however, that we may not always be able to comply with your request of erasure for specific legal reasons which will be notified to you, if applicable, at the time of your request. You have the right to request erasure of your personal data by clicking here.
- Object to processing of your personal data where we are relying on a Legitimate Interest (or those of a third-party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground as you feel it impacts on your fundamental rights and freedoms. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal data for direct marketing purposes. In some cases, we may demonstrate that we have compelling legitimate grounds to process your information which override your rights and freedoms.
- Request restriction of processing of your personal data. This enables you to ask us to suspend the processing of your personal data in the following scenarios: (a) if you want us to establish the information’s accuracy; (b) where our use of the information is unlawful but you do not want us to erase it; (c) where you need us to hold the information even if we no longer require it as you need it to establish, exercise or defend legal claims; or (d) you have objected to our use of your information but we need to verify whether we have overriding legitimate grounds to use it.
- Request the transfer of your personal data to you or to a third-party. We will provide to you, or a third-party you have chosen, your personal data in a structured, commonly used, machine-readable format. Note that this right only applies to automated information which you initially provided consent for us to use or where we used the information to perform a contract with you.
- Withdraw consent at any time where we are relying on consent to process your personal data. However, this will not affect the lawfulness of any processing carried out before you withdraw your consent. If you withdraw your consent, we may not be able to provide certain products or services to you. We will advise you if this is the case at the time you withdraw your consent.
This version was last updated on the date noted at the top.
It is important that the personal data we hold about you is accurate and current. Please keep us informed if your personal data changes during your relationship with us by contacting us.